Christmas Q&A with Adios to Anorexia

Note: these questions are that of Angharad May who is a blogger and featured in C4's documentary: On The Edge and Online
@haradmay
adiostoanorexia.blogspot.com

[These questions were taken from Zoella and Joe Sugg's yearly Christmas YouTube videos, namely: http://youtu.be/1j9ro77HxWg
I like to think that my blog gives a rounded view were possible, in that I publish posts from a variety of people and on a variety of topics that I might not have experienced or have the ability to write about. And so, every day until Christmas, there will be a new post of a different person's answers to the same questions. I hope it helps to get you all into the Christmas spirit]


            
1. When do you start getting excited for Christmas Day?
First of all at the Service of Nine Lessons and Carols in church (I sing in my church choir) and then mainly at Midnight Mass which is one of my favourite events of the year.
2. Do you still have an advent calendar? If yes, which do you have and if no, when did you stop having them?
I haven't had an Advent calendar for about eight years (damn Anorexia), until this year. My Uncle up to visit me and brought me a huge advent calendar this year. It is a Snowman and the Snowdog advent calendar from Thorntins and it has my name personalised on a slab of chocolate.
3. What are favourite Christmas movies?
Anything and everything because I love movies. I think my favourite comedy Christmas movie is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It's just too funny, I love it. You know it's Christmas when you watch this film,
4. Do you have any funny Christmas stories/memories?
I do have a story which others might find funny, and I think in the future I will find it funny, but it's still pretty traumatic for me. One year, our turkey went off and smelt really bad when we got up on Christmas Day. My Mum and Dad were in the verge of a divorce and I remember it being an absolutely horrendous Christmas. The rotten turkey was the last straw and I remember my Mum (because it was her fault the turkey went off) just standing there wailing and banging her head on the wall. This is where I got the idea to self harm by whacking myself against walls. Actually maybe this isn't such a funny story after all but you could imagine it being made funny in a scene in a film or a soap opera or something.
5. What's your typical Christmas Day?
Getting up at a reasonable time and going to church. This is one of my favourite services of the year, after Easter, because it is such a special time knowing that Christ has been born to set us free. After church I walk home and put the dinner on for my Mum. She eats her dinner and I have a bowl of soup (damn Anorexia again) but I do allow myself some bubbly to share with her. In the afternoon, Mum and I open our presents and maybe go for a little walk, depending on the weather. Well, I walk and Mum comes along on her scooter because she has MS and can't really walk. In the evening, we either play a board game or watch Christmas TV.
6. What do you eat for you Christmas dinner? And what is your favourite part of it?
I have Anorexia so Christmas dinner is a huge no-no for me. I haven't had a Christmas dinner for about 8 years and even then, at the start of my illness, I was force fed food so had no choice but to eat a full Christmas dinner. It was hell on earth! This year I will have a bowl of soup and maybe some mulled wine or Buck's Fizz. In previous years I have eaten some sprouts.
7. Do you have any Christmas traditions?
Going to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve and then going to church on Christmas Day. Midnight Mass is my favourite, it's so special to me.
8. What are your favourite Christmas songs?
I have too many to choose from!! I do love In the Bleak Midwinter and O Holy Night though, they are scrumptious.
9. What has been your best Christmas present?
My friend from Church once bought me a teeny tiny little pink gemstone Angel. I take it everywhere, just clutch onto it and it really helps my anxiety. I know if I've got my angel then everything will be ok.
10. Do you prefer a real or fake Chrismax tree?
Real because I love the fresh pine smell, but at home I always get a fake tree because it is just let bother. And I get scented candles to make it smell like a proper Christmas Tree!!!
11. This year, do you think you'd be on the naughty or nice list?
Haha I have no idea!!!!!! I'm too good to be naughty but I'm too evil to be nice!
12. What are your favourite treats at Christmas?
Listening to wonderful carols.
13. Do you prefer giving or receiving presents?
I much prefer giving presents. I love getting a whole load of little things for my Mum and watching her open them!
14. Where would be your dream place to spend Christmas?
At home, all nice and cosy.
15. Are you good at wrapping presents?
Annoyingly I'm such a perfectionist that I'd have to say yes to this!
16. What time do you usually get up on Christmas morning? Is this different from when you were little?
I usually get up about 9am on Christmas Day, so that I get to Church in time. This is loads later than when I was little! Haha I'm such a lazybum now!
17. How old were you when you found out that Santa wasn't real? And how did you find out?
I was about 10; I don't really remember how I found out, I think of the kids in school told me?
18. What is your dream Christmas present?
To get better from mental illness.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig