Christmas Q&A with Launchpad

[Note: the answers below are that of Alisdair Cameron, Team Leader at Launchpad]
@AlisdairC
www.launchpadncl.org.uk

[These questions were taken from Zoella and Joe Sugg's yearly Christmas YouTube videos, namely: http://youtu.be/1j9ro77HxWgI like to think that my blog gives a rounded view were possible, in that I publish posts from a variety of people and on a variety of topics that I might not have experienced or have the ability to write about. And so, every day until Christmas, there will be a new post of a different person's answers to the same questions. I hope it helps to get you all into the Christmas spirit!]
 

A note from Alisdair: my answers today are very much coloured by the fact I have two young children, aged 3 and 5. Had I been asked the same questions 15 years ago, say, my answers would have been very, very different.
1. When do you start getting excited for Christmas Day?
From Boxing Day onwards, it's all one long journey of building excitement to the day itself, that wonderful melange of celebrating the entry to the world of our Lord and saviour as an ickle baby, and insane, rabid, turbo-consumption. With tinsel. Um, "excited" is probably not the word, though I guess panic is a form of excitement. Probably the week before.
2. Do you still have an advent calendar? If yes, which do you have and if no, when did you stop having them?
We have two, one for each child, but otherwise, I don't remember having them much beyond the age of 12 or 13.
3. What are favourite Christmas movies?
Bad Santa. Unusual Exports. And oddly, Elvis movies like Blue Hawaii, because I dimly recall them being on when I was young, as a daytime filler on TV in that period between school breaking up and Christmas Day itself. That's a great wee spell of time, by the way, when you're a kid, and it deserves proper recognition: the frazzle-your-folks-with-fevered-frolicking-few-days. Maybe that name needs a bit of work...
4. Do you have any funny Christmas stories/memories?
Not funny ones, particularly. Well funny/bleak, like getting sent upstairs in disgrace from the dining table at Christmas lunch in front of the whole family and guests, maybe 20-odd people. I was about 26 years old at the time...
5. What's your typical Christmas Day?
Presents, food, family
6. What do you eat for you Christmas dinner? And what is your favourite part of it?
The usual Turkey stuff. And I do really like sprouts.
7. Do you have any Christmas traditions?
Not really, unless avoiding traditions is a tradition. So don't do the Queen's speech, or the TV bit.
8. What are your favourite Christmas songs?
Slade "Merry Xmas Everyone." Don't especially like it, but they were a much maligned band, who wrote some belters.
9. What has been your best Christmas present?
Three some childhood come to mind: a red bike (with stabilisers) when I was maybe 5 years old. A Han Solo gun thing when I was 7 or 8 (old-school, first generation, original run Star Wars, so that dates me) and a mini pinball table toy thing which I'd still play with today, if I knew where on earth it was (answer: landfill, most likely)
10. Do you prefer a real or fake Christmas tree?
Depends. In our home, fake, because those needles are a hugger to pick up. I get overruled on this though. Elsewhere, real. Basically, whatever means I don't have to sweep up tiny green shards.
11. This year, do you think you'd be on the naughty or nice list?
Nice. Comparatively speaking.
12. What are your favourite treats at Christmas?
Rest. Don't see much of that though.
13. Do you prefer giving or receiving presents?
These days, giving. So long as the recipient is appropriately thankful... (joke)
14. Where would be your dream place to spend Christmas?
I've never really countenanced not being at home at Christmas. I mean it has happened, but while there are many places in the world which I'd love to visit, I've not thought of going anywhere specifically for Christmas itself.
15. Are you good at wrapping presents?
Yes, in as much as I can cover the object to be gifted in paper, and seal it up with tape. No, if any aesthetic considerations are brought in to play.
16. What time do you usually get up on Christmas morning? Is this different from when you were little?
Nowadays, it's about the same (see beginning note for reason)
17. How old were you when you found out that Santa wasn't real? And how did you find out?
Ooh, not sure, I'd guess about 6 or 7 maybe. And it'd have been via chatter and mutterings at school.
18. What is your dream Christmas present?
Strewth, I don't know what to say. Something shallow and materialistic that will satisfy a transient craving but leave a hollow feeling lingering somewhere deep inside? Or a trite, Hallmark-greetings-card level wish such as Workd Peace which is unmeasurable and undeliverable by any gift-giver? Let's just say: survival.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig